more on this temperament thing

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:47:40 -0700

A440A@AOL.COM wrote:

>     For the last three years I have been giving temperament presentations to
> technicians and musical groups,(teachers, students, etc.).  These two groups
> react in very different ways, and I have altered my procedures accordingly.
> The techs represent a hard sell, the musicians just roll over in epiphanies.

Ed, I am both a musician and a technician and, as afar as pianos are
concerned, the historical temperaments always strike me as out of tune -
because the number of beats are "incorrect" to my beat-counting ears.
The non-smooth progression of beats has always triggered that response
in me.

On another note, I used to listen to my dad play chamber music with
friends at home when I was a child, and I loved to hear how good string
players would alter certain pitches to express the music. But this was
not the same as a piano tuned to HT because the flattened or sharpened
notes would change according to the key they were playing in, the mood
of the piece, whether they were ascending or descending the scale, etc.
They had the ability to change their "temperament" on the fly and could
vary the amount of sharpness or flatness to suit the moment.

Getting back to the piano, an unequally tempered tuning cannot adjust as
one modulates through a series of key changes, although it would be
interesting to hear a keyboard that was programmed in such a manner