Knabe keyframe stop block felt (bingo!)

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 03:33:08 EDT

Hi, Keith,

I don't think this unfelted keyframe stop block is an accident. I have seen a
number of older Steinways without a felt, and those pianos were in such a
condition that I was convinced it was originally so. It wasn't really noisy
in normal operation.

Also, not only is it easier to keep the keyframe in the same position, it's a
better choice technically, whether you leave it unfelted or shave the stop
block to accomodate felt. There is a "best" position for the frame, where the
capstans, wippens, knuckles, hammers, strings, and damper lifters all line up
as well as possible, and assuming this was set up correctly originally,
realigning parts would be an unnecessary compromise.

Bob Davis