Running CA

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:27:35 -0600

Hi,
To solve the problem of the tipper scooting out I welded sharp tips to =
the feet that go under the piano.
They dig into the bottom board.
One problem on thick rugs one needs the help of another person to put =
one side of the tilter, at a time, under the piano as I lift the piano =
up enough to allow the tilter to slide under.
And again to remove the tilter the piano needs to be raised slightly to =
remove the tilter. A one inch block of wood under the rear casters works =
but as yet I have not taken the time to attach them to my tilter so that =
they are there when needed. <G> Oh well!=20
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jon Page=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 9:54 AM
  Subject: Re: Running CA

  At 11:35 AM 10/18/2001 -0400, you wrote:

    In a message dated 10/18/2001 10:07:12 AM Central Daylight Time, =
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:=20

      Yes, and perhaps you will find yourself "praying" that two people =
other than=20
      yourself will be lifting it back up! Especially the old uprights, =
they can=20
      sure get pretty heavy - a good tilter really pays its way here!=20
      Terry Farrell=20
    Terry and list, just a warning here, tilters are advertised =
suggesting one person can safely tilt an upright.  Under most =
circumstances this is true, but in the case of hardwood, tile, cement or =
any other hard slick floors the piano can run off the tilter and shoot =
the tilter out from under the piano at high speed presenting a extremely =
dangerous situation.  Here in our shop we have had two broken legs over =
the years from this very situation.  We do not allow any of our men to =
tilt an upright by themselves.  Please be careful!=20
    David Koelzer=20
    DFW=20

  Securing the tilter to the piano will prevent it from sliding away =
when the rear casters
  come in contact with the floor upon righting. Prior to tilting, strap =
the tilter tightly to the beams.

  Accompanying each new tilter is a clamp for this purpose (or there =
used to be). Generally,
  people do not see the need and discarded them or stick them away and =
forgot about them.
  I still have mine but prefer to strap if there is a danger of the =
casters rolling.

  Regards,

  Jon Page,   piano technician
  Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.