Old Uprights

Clark Sprague clark@evola.com
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:10:10 -0400

Thanks, Mr . Wyatt, and all others who replied to this thread!  They =
want to take one of the old ones out to the street, and paint it red, =
white and blue to show our patriotism to the world, and these two are =
the ones that we have at the moment.  The other choice was to sledge =
hammer them both, so I decided maybe to take one of them , to save it =
from eternal destruction.  The French has a nicer cabinet.
Clark
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: JWyatt1492@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 12:05 PM
  Subject: Re: Old Uprights

  Hello Clark,=20

     Of the two pianos that you refer to for rebuilding=20
  the Jesse French is a far better choice with everything=20
  being equal.=20
      The French and the K. Campbell Co. had two quite=20
  different mind sets  in building pianos.  K&C was a=20
  holding Co. that bought many brand names. And built=20
  pianos under those names for the mass market.=20
       Jesse French on the other had one factory and=20
  built a piano under that name.  They built other names=20
  but in that factory. Their second line piano was  Lagonda=20
  this was done so they could offer a lower priced piano=20
  than the Jesse French to their dealers.=20
     The scale ' C '   was their most popular upright.=20
  The W.N.G. action was used in most of their pianos and=20
  most  used the " Norris "  pedal system.=20
       Jesse French upr. #  70526 was such a piano.    =20
  It had 10 singles and 16 double strings in the bass.=20
       As a side note,  the back of the sharps was shaped=20
  the same as the front on most pianos.=20
      The K&Campbell is a far better known piano but=20
  in fact it was not never intended to be of the quality=20
  as the  J. French.=20
      There are upr. pianos whose potential is greater than=20
  the J. French of course the Bush & Lane is my top=20
  choice followed closely by the Thomas Loud. Then=20
  it would go to specific scales in other pianos  such=20
  as the ' G '  Mason & Hamlin.  =20
   =20
    Hope this helps,=20
    Jack Wyatt     =20