Cold

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:47:58 EDT

In a message dated 10/18/01 12:17:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
jfryett@minot.ndak.net writes:

> List,
>
> A lady called me today asking about the effects of cold on her piano.  I
> know that it is not real good but did not know the specifics on why.  It
> seems that she will be going south for the winter and wishes to turn off
> the heat in her home during that time period.  Here in North Dakota it can
> get and stay below zero for several days at a time.  It can be as low as
> -40F.  How low can the temperature go and stay for extended periods of time
> before it becomes harmful to her piano?  What precautions should be taken
> to protect the piano from the cold?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jere Fryett
> Assoc. Member  ND

It isn't the cold that will effect the piano. It is the effect of a warm
piano becoming cold, and then becoming warm again. It is changes in
temperature and humidity that causes a piano to go out of tune, and effect
the wood.

So to answer your question directly, it can get down to -40, just don't
expect the piano to stay in tune. If she did this once, it would probably not
have much effect. But if she did this year after year, eventually it will
break the piano.

Willem