Square Grands

Jon Page jonpage2001@mediaone.net
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:14:55 -0400

At 07:51 AM 10/19/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I would be very interested to see what Joe has to say about the proper
>tuning technique for a square grand so that you don't end up crippled. I did
>one square with my regular hammer, and after my recovery several days later,
>I made myself a 2-1/2 foot long wrench with a pivot about 2/3 of the way
>out. It actually works quite well and I can do all the tuning from my normal
>sitting position. Once in a while I will need to stand to see which pin I am
>placing the head on if I get a little confused. I find my self more and more
>confused as time passes. This is the baking list, no?   ;-)
>
>Terry Farrell

One technique I use to avoid confusion is to identify the notes in the
temperament area.
Punch a larger hole in the center of a thick cardboard front rail punching
and write the note letter in it.

After muting the section, place the punchings around the pins which will be
used to set the temperament.
This way it is easy to move the hammer quickly. Once the temperament is
set, tuning octaves chromatically
does not require special treatment.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician