Loose damper lever weights

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 06:52:04 -0400

Friends,

I ran into a problem this week that I haven't encountered before.  The
piano is a 1988 Wurlitzer grand model G-552.  In the process of tuning I
noticed that for three keys two dampers would lift at the same time.  I
pulled the action out, and the lead (?) weights closest to the keyboard
were loose in those three damper levers and had fallen against their
next-door neighbors, which caused the problem.

What is the most efficient fix?  There has been some discussion of
pliers recently, and at first I thought maybe it was about this exact
problem, but I think there's not enough room to get a pliers in there.

What I will do unless someone has a better idea:  Remove the sostenuto
rod, then for each problem key loosen the damper wire and pull it out,
remove the damper lever assembly and glue in the weight, then
replace/regulate as needed.  I'm not eager to do this, since getting the
flange screw back in has been a source of frustration for me in the
past, but I can do it if that's the best way.

Help?  Comments?

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger