more on this temperament thing

Doug Atkins ATKINSD@cedarville.edu
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:19:23 -0400

Tom, There was a time when I would tune spinets and consoles of
beginer students with the Andreas Werckmeister 3 well temperament. My
thought was that they would be mostly using the naturals and this
temperment allows them to sound pure. The G3 to D4 4th is tempered,
the A3 to D4  4th is also tempered.
 Mostly what I found was relief from tuning equal temperament day in
and day out. Nobody ever said a word, good or bad about these tunings.
When I first started this it sure was a challenge to hide my
temperament sequence sheet from the customer. After all if they saw me
tuning from notes my credibility would have been totally shot. Once it
was memorized this no longer presented a problem. Perhaps this
afternoon I will tune a few practice room pianos to the Werckmeister 3
and see what kind of response it gets. Tom try something different for
a change. Venture out and yank those pins where you want them to be.

Doug Atkins
Registered Piano Technician
Cedarville University
937.766.7566