more on this temperament thing...

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:11:47 -0700

Ed,

In the following you write about how this group finds an HT SUPERIOR to ET
and then how ET has
contributed to the decline of civilization and then at the end you wonder
why ET tuners get defensive?
Actually, I was laughing when I read that...;-]   I haven't, in my limited
experience with HT, liked the sound.
I also have to look at the practical aspect of tuning and retuning for a
customer.  Do you offer HT tunings for free?
If they don't like it do you come back and retune with something else for
free?  Because HT is readily available with
my SAT III, I am able to use it...no one seems interested here and frankly
thats fine with me.  I do have a life other
than pianos...how about you?

David I.

>The instructors at the Nashville Jazz Workshop have now adopted the
>Coleman 11 and/or Young temperaments as superior to what they had before.
>As far as the "majority" goes,  so far I am seeing the majority around
>here prefer my unequal tuning to my equal one.  Eventually,  I believe we
>will see ET for what it is, a 20th century phenomenom that is necessary
>for 20th century music.  A one-size-fits-all intonation.  I think the
Western