more on this temperament thing

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 11:48:09 EDT

In a message dated 10/20/01 10:27:57 AM Central Daylight Time,=20
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net (David Love) writes:

> My point is that for most jazz pianists that I know, an altered V chord in
> the key of C should have the same character as and altered V chord in the
> key of Ab.  .

26 years ago, when I was a senior in college, I spent the year abroad in=20
France.  The group of other college students I traveled with went first to=20
Paris.  We all were taken to the famous boulevard called "L'Avenue des Champ=
s=20
Elys=E9es".  The Arc de Triomphe, all the exquisite shops and other places t=
o=20
see that were new and different to us were not what attracted a sizable=20
number of our group.

What place was it that most of the group wanted to visit?  The Mc Donald's=20
restaurant.  Why?  Just to see if the hamburgers there tasted the *same* as=20
they do in the US.  And to their astonished glee and surprise, they did. =20
They talked about that fact at length.

I declined to go because I already knew what to expect and didn't want the=20
same thing that had already been served 100 million times before.  Of course=
,=20
I was viewed as the *oddball* but I didn't care.  I selected a pastry shop=20
that had items I had never seen nor tasted before.  Most of the other group=20
thought my choice was *wierd*.  It took them much longer, after they had=20
settled down into the university town (where there was no Mc Donald's) befor=
e=20
they discovered the infinite delights of a French Pastry shop.

To some people, the same bland consistency, day in and day out is what they=20
want.  It is what they are comfortable with.  Others want variety and=20
adventure.  In music, Jazz or otherwise, my belief has always been that ther=
e=20
should be a *reason* to be in a particular key and there should be a *reason=
*=20
to modulate.  What would be the purpose of playing in any particular key or=20
even modulating if there is no distinction between them?

To me, the choice of keys and modulating while in ET, particularly in the=20
Jazz medium gives about as much satisfaction as choosing the Mc Donald's=20
further down the street rather than the one close by just for a change of=20
scenery.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin