SV: more on this temperament thing

Ola Andersson pianola@online.no
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 22:36:26 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: David J. Severance

> David
>
> Bill Evan's 12 tone tune is the only atonal jazz composition I can think
> of if there are more please let me know.
I think it was Coltrane who had a twelve tone blues.
Very clever done

>Again I think you are confusing
> modulation with tonality which has a very specific meaning.  Atonality is
> a compositional technique that was developed by Arnold Schoenberg and is
> the systematic avoidance of permitting any single pitch to sound as a
> tonal center.
There is alot atonal jazz. But less now then in the 60s-80s I think

>Jazzers improvise the melody,
> the
> rhythm the chord voicings but the one thing they don't improvise are the
> changes!
Ornette Coleman and Keith Jarret does

> David Severance

This makes me think about the costumer who asked me very serious if jazz musicians could see what they played,
because they didn't always look at there hands.
And I said yes! Even a blind pianist can play.
He went away and thought, then he came back and asked if Jazz pianist could realy HEAR what they played!
I said yes! but it doesn't always sound as that. He agreed. Fun story and a lovely old man.

Ola Andersson