expanded temperament

Howard S. Rosen hsrosen@earthlink.net
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 10:19:28 -0400

from a September post:

resume..If there's some beating going on, I correct it 'if it's musically
possible'..now do you see where I'm going?>>>>>>

Hi Phil,

Did you make a mistake in your explanation? Or, did I miss something?

Playing those 3 notes simultaneously can never sound smooth as it contains a
major 2nd which is a dissonant interval that is never used in the tuning
process. I am very interested in temperament discussions so I would love for
you to expand on this.

BTW- It should be emphasized that your discussion of "expanded temperament"
is not the same discussion as "expanded temperament octave". When, at the
end of your post you asked "...do you expand your temperament..."   you
meant expand to 1 and a half octaves (or so) which was the topic of your
post. I believe Richard Breckne's response to your post confused these 2
topics by answering "yes" and then explaining expanded temperament octaves
such as 4:2 and 6:3.

I am not subscribed and a month behind in reading the archives, so please
duplicate any pianotech response to me personally. Thanks.

Howard