Square Grand/HT Temperaments

Mmeade1pno@AOL.COM Mmeade1pno@AOL.COM
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 20:12:36 EDT

A point I've long pondered but yet addressed. Yes, absolutely, I agree that
the older instruments are more appropriate in HT than modern grands. I
believe the real issue is not the color of the thirds, but the fourths in the
upper registers. On modern grands, fourths tuned to a 1/4  comma sound bad! I
can live with the 1/6 comma fourths, therefore I find that I can't expect
musicians to accept a tuning where the fourths are more out of tune than a
1/6 comma. However, 1/4 commas just do not sound as uincomfortable on forte
pianos or harpsichords, lending more leeway to tune with purer thirds.

                                                Michael Meade RPT