Speaking of hammers...

DALE ERWIN erwinpiano@msn.com
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 20:07:07 -0700

From: David Stanwood
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2001 7:01 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Speaking of hammers...
 =20
>Subject: Re: Speaking of hammers... =20
>Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 08:57:54 EDT =20
> =20
>In a message dated 10/16/2001 10:48:57 AM Central Daylight Time, =20
>pianobuilders@olynet.com writes: =20
> =20
> =20
> > As a start perhaps the manufacturer could weigh just those hammers he=
 =20
> > intends to be #1, #30, #60 and #88 and correlate those into Stanwood'=
s =20
> > curves. If the manufacturing tolerances are reasonable random samples=
 might =20
> > well be sufficient. At this point, I'd be really happy with just that=
. =20
> > Though we'd still be some distance from ideal at least it would be on=
e =20
> > small step in the right direction. =20
> > =20
>Would these be pretapered, coved, what about the tail? I am afraid there=
 are =20
>too many variables to do anything here however great the need. While tho=
se =20
>here in this discussion may be willing to pay a little extra for their =20
>hammers if this information were made available, I fear the demand would=
 not =20
>be large enough for the manufactures to bother with. =20
> =20
>Speaking of knowing your hammer maker, I just installed my first set of =20
>Isaac's hammers. WOW! That is the sound I have been looking for all alon=
g. =20
>I had gotten sick and tired of trying to soften these steel reinforced w=
ire =20
> =20
Andrew,
My suggestion to hammer makers is to take the average of a cluster of thr=
ee hammers around note #16,#40, and #64 .   This gives a very good indica=
tion of weight level in the area that is most played.  It's not hard to m=
ake an estimate of shaping and boring and tapering.  Wally Brooks provide=
s very good hammer weight information for his hammers.
So would you care to share the weight stats on the Isaac hammers? Levels?
David C. Stanwood