Humidity-Sheltered Storage

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 07:37:01 -0400

Unless you are willing to control temperature AND humidity in your building,
I think you stand the chance of courting disaster. Your post sounds like you
are trying not to do climate control. If you are willing to install climate
control, there are pretty easy and cheap ways to control the environment of
a small room. Small heaters are a-plenty, a amall basement dehumidifier can
be run off a DC H2 humidistat, and there are small room-type humidifiers
available that could run off the H2 also.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Ballard" <yardbird@pop.vermontel.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 12:00 AM
Subject: Humidity-Sheltered Storage

I have to create some long-term storage in an unweatherized small
frame building. I could put four grands and one (maybe two) before I
have to used a crow-bar.

Single story with low roof, the front 1/3 would be storage. The
framing is good but it sits 18" above dirt. We're on the side of a
hill, so there is ground moisture breathing up through the
floorboards. I thought I would lay down a vapor barrier of poly
sheeting and completely go up the back (North) wall of that room and
on the front (South) wall, I'd go up to the sills of the old casement
windows.

All of this clear plastic sheeting would be covered, the floor with
tempered hardboard, and the walls with something durable and less
expensive than hardboard.

The Southern Vermont summer has humidity from 40-90%, and temps from
-15 to +90º F. I knew it would at least be an improvement over the
local Chuck'n'Lock self-storage, certainly in price.

Have any of you had to weatherize for storage under such conditions?
Please don't tell me to study Bhuddism, I wouldn't do that to you.

TIA

Mr. Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Round here we don't talk unless we can improve on the silence."
     ...........Ron Rude, local Public Radio Commentator.