humidity question (may be stupid but I'm curious...)

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:56:47 EDT

Stephen

The questions are not as much stupid as they are irrelevant. Neither are true
cases. But the conepts are somthing we can use.

In the first scenario, a piano goes out of tune more because of temperature
and humidity changes, than it does playing. So in the situation you
described, the piano probably wouldn't fluctuate more than a few cents in the
period of a week. Certainly not more than 10 cents, if that much.

In the second scenario, the piano would fluctuate back and forth. It wouldn't
necessarily drop in pitch. During the shower, or right afterwards, the piano
would go sharp, especially in the middle, where the soundboard would gain a
lot of moisture. Then when you turned on the heat lamp, and removed the
humidity from the room, the soundboard would drop again. But because it takes
several days for the humidity to enter the soundboard, and a few days for it
to leave, the overall effect would be a raise in pitch, rather than a drop in
pitch.

Wim