Tilter scooters

Carl Meyer cmpiano@home.com
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:46:55 -0700

Yes, I can picture your head hitting the ceiling.  I may not have =
clearly described in my other post the procedure that Bill Spurlock =
demonstrated.  =20

The problem is that you had your hands on the handles.  Before the piano =
casters touched the floor you should have put your right hand on the top =
of the piano and kept your left hand on the tilter and kept a firm =
backward pressure to keep the toes of the tilter digging into the bottom =
 board.   Then push the piano forward while keeping the tilter firmly =
pushed backward.  This will keep the toes of the tilter in contact with =
the piano preventing it from rolling forward.  The same is true in =
reverse.  Your piano may have slide down in the process of tilting.   As =
I said the instinct is to push the tilter to the upright position, but =
that is what permits the piano to roll out from under.  Only by pulling =
back on the tilter can you prevent that.  =20

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@home.com =20

---- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dick Beaton=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 3:03 PM
  Subject: Re: Tilter scooters

  Hi all.....

  YES I did have one scoot out on me.  It slid down the  rails of the =
tilter...I held onto the handles. When the top of the piano hit the feet =
of the tilter I felt like I was going to hit the ceiling!

  I had just installed a new set of casters on the old upright.  I =
figured out that what happened was the new casters hit the floor and =
started rolling forward....you can picture the rest.

  =20