improved time for tuning

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 19:31:11 -0600

Hi Re`jean,
I doubt anything has been writen.
I must admit that my way may be slower than what others do. But it works =
well for me.
First what I do.
Using a inch wide bass rubber mute with a wire handle and a split 3/8" =
rubber mute 3" long with a 10" flexible steel handle.
First I drill a small hole in the tip of the steel handle so that both =
mutes can be attached with a strong string. This is to prevent the mutes =
from becomming dislodged during tuning and falling down into the bottom =
of an upright piano! The string is about a foot long with a knot on the =
steel end on both sides of the hole and knotted and tied to the loop of =
the bass mute. In prepairing the split mute for use I use a belt sander =
to shape the mute. A wedge is cut off so that a tip of 1/4" wide is =
left. I do this so that the mute will go in further so that the top =
dampers will interfere with the hammer hitting the string as much. The =
cutoff wedge side is always to the top as the mute is used.
Sometimes there is a need to shape the tip of the wedge so that  you =
have a longer ( back ) side of the mute. This lets you catch the right =
string and lift the mute closest to you to mute the left string.
Going from A4 to the top you isolate the center string using one foot of =
the split mute to mute each outer string,   tune.
Take out mute and isolate right string,  tune.
Take a deep breath and think about this next step. Go to the next unison =
and isolate the center string. Do not tune this note but tune the right =
string of the note you were working on. When done continue to the next =
center string.
At the breaks you will need to do what is necessary to get the mutes to =
work as the piano parts may not allow you to do the same thing.
Going down from A4 is the reverse of the above, tune the center then =
left string mute, lower unison then tune right.

Felt stripping mutes are most likely faster.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20