improved time for tuning

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:24:46 -0600

Hi Clyde,
The reason that I still use the split mute is that the strip felt mutes =
are so bulky and seem to clutter my tool case. My first tuning years =
were spent using felt strips and straight mutes and it seemed to me that =
I never had the correct thickness of felt or it would wear thin or be =
too thick and displace the string. And the felt strips were a cause of =
damper damage with my use<G>
Also player pianos and bird cage pianos were hard to tune.
I have used the Papps sp.? mute and did not like the way it sort of made =
a noise when the hammer was striking the string.=20
So due to trial and error the use of one thick rubber bass mute and one =
split rubber mute is all that I use on all pianos.

Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 5:03 AM
  Subject: Re: improved time for tuning

  Joe,=20
  I read through your procedure.  When I got to your last sentence I =
decided there wasn't much point in my changing anything, since I use =
strip mutes.=20

  Anyone who is interested in efficient strip muting should take Dan =
Levitan's class, if it is offered again somewhere.  When I took the =
class it was called "Muting Master Class."  I can't think of any bases =
he didn't cover.  But I didn't change my ways, either, because my method =
of muting is efficient enough to suit me.=20

  Regards,=20
  Clyde=20

  Joe & Penny Goss wrote:=20

    Hi Re`jean,I doubt anything has been writen.I must admit that my way =
may be slower than what others do. But it works well for me.First what I =
do.=20
    <snip> Felt stripping mutes are most likely faster.