needle update

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 18:54:24 -0700

Hey Wim, Thanks for doing all the research. Those were some of the =
things I was wondering about, myself. I usually use what must be #9's =
for the bass, going to 7's for the treble. (Two different voicing =
tools.)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: Pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 3:44 PM
  Subject: needle update

  I went to the fabric store, and got educated. First of all, I must =
apologize. I gave the wrong price information. The packages of 10 =
needles was only a buck. The box of 100 pins was $2.50.=20

  I bought #7 needles. There were no #17 needles. However, there were =
#17 and #20 pins. In the interest of science, I splurged, and spent =
another buck on a package of assorted sizes, 3 - 9, just to see how they =
measured up.=20

  Here are the needle measurements.=20
  #3. =3D .024"=20
  #5. =3D .028"=20
  #7. =3D .032"=20
  #9. =3D .036"=20
  #17 pin came in at .026", and the #20's were bigger than that. (I =
didn't buy a box of #20 pins).=20
  Each needle size was also a mm longer than the previous size.=20

  It would seem that the pin sizes are different from the needle sizes. =
The #20 pins were longer than the #17 pins.=20

  Roger said he uses #3 needle. Pretty thin. But it probably goes in =
very easily. Roger, do you heat yours, like Ed does?=20

  Susan, what size do you use? And please explain again how you use one =
needle, and push it in gently. Doesn't that take forever then to voice a =
hammer?=20

  Wim=20

  PS.  I first went to a SEW AND VAC store (where they sell sewing =
machines and vacuum cleaners), looking for needles. The owner only had =
needles for sewing machines, but asked me what I wanted to sew? You =
should have seen the look on her face when I told what I use needles =
for. She probably laughed her head off after I left.=20