"My Whole Keyboard is Broke"

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 23:14:30 -0700

>From: "Kevin E. Ramsey" <ramsey@extremezone.com>
>To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
>Subject: Re: "My Whole Keyboard is Broke"
>Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:06:29 -0700
>
>     Technically, the bridle wires "shouldn't" be adjusted so tightly that
>they cause the keys to wink. That is, of course, if the pedal stop is
>adjusted so that it doesn't raise the hammers beyond 1/2 blow.
>     But, we never see this, right. Not even on NEW pianos. Oh, no.

Years ago I took a beginning piano class at Napa Valley College.  The text
book was explaining how the pedals worked.  It said that when you use the
soft pedal on a grand, it moved the keyboard to the right and when you use
it on an upright, it moves the keyboard down!

I told the teacher it was wrong, and seeing his opportunity to find the
answer to a question that had perplexed him his whole career, he asked me
what the middle pedal on a grand does.

Diane