Voicing M&H BB

DALE ERWIN erwinpiano@msn.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 07:35:20 -0700

Hey Ron O and list

    Although the Mason & Hamlin BB has tremendous potential I find that m=
any especially from the late 1970's are tonally disappointing and some do=
wn right dismal  and it's not all hammer problems. I also have one from t=
hat era that's to die for and it had the green monsters and poor action  =
to start. What gives!!!
    Having worked on a many of these I think it's safe to say that when t=
he bellywork is set up right they're truly  Glorious(with the break being=
 the exception, BUT AS IS IN ANY GOOD PIANO ,THE BETTER THE BELLY SET UP =
THE LESS NOTICIABLE THESE WEAKNESSES ARE. (Sorry not shouting).  By setup=
 I mean rib crowned,nicely diaphramized, nice bridge work and very health=
y  and adequate amounts of bearing and voicing of course.  If this isn't =
the case then the kind o problems Terry F. is having will not lend themse=
lves well to a Full Mason BB sound. It's a rather fickle system. It reall=
y needs a cutoff bar added as well as detuned front duplexes with less co=
unterbearing angle as they frequently break strings.
     Who knows maybe you could get it to sound like a Yamaha if the board=
s that stingy.I.E loud attack short decay.  Terry do some plucking of the=
 strings in the treble and if the sing freely and bloom with out plucking=
 real hard you may have a chance with a good hammer.  Able, Ronsen and Is=
aac hammers all work well in these pianos. If you need samples I can send=
 you some of each, I think.
   My suggestion would be to install a few of these  hammers and voice th=
em and see which way the wind is blowing.

  Best---Dale Erwin

     =20
  =20
 =20