more on this temperament thing

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:12:10 EDT

David writes:
<<I don't if everyone who is currently on this list is familiar with Ed Foote
but may I state for the record that he is the resident HT guru and that if
you have any interest in the subject at all please make it a priority to
attend one of his classes at the next convention. >>

 Shuffle, shuffle,blush, blush,

     Thanks for the compliment, David, but I can't claim guru status for what
I know. There are many others that were involved in this pursuit before I
began. Paul Bailey and Jim Coleman spring to mind as the real pioneers.  And
we ALL owe a huge debt to Owen Jorgensen, since it was his writing that made
the concept accessible to the modern tuner. (Barbour was ahead of him, but
didn't put the info in a form that the working tech would/could use). Owen
had the faith that this was a worthwhile piece of knowledge, and his "Tuning"
was a landmark in modern intonational awareness.
    Not being an author of any of the temperaments, I can't claim "new"
contributions.   I have, instead, tried to convince as many techs as possible
of the value to be had from broadening horizons.  It has been a real
expensive undertaking, not only making it to the conventions, but  producing
the CD's, (which  cost far more than I think they will every return,
monetarily, but it was  something I had to do and I hope my kids will forgive
me for it...).  I hope to do at least two more in the future.
   I have had to put the class on the shelf for a while, both to rest myself,
and, more importantly, to make room for other perspectives.  David Lamereoux,
Tim Farley, Skip Becker etal, have equally valuable perspectives on how to
approach the departure from the status quo, (ET) and their classes will
continue to provide impetus for seeking new ways of going about our work.
  Thanks to all that expressed interest.  It has been a real experience!
Regards,
Ed