Duplex

Duplexdan@AOL.COM Duplexdan@AOL.COM
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 02:14:01 EDT

Dear Dave,

Does the Baldwin have a Duplex Scale?
If so, have you checked the intervals of the duplex scale against the
speaking length? Are the intervals double octaves, octave and a fifths,
octave and fifth? Or are they, as I suspect jarring intervals such as major
sevenths, flat ninths, flat fifths and augmented fifths? If so, they
absolutely shoud be tuned to the corresponding partial.

Old Baldwins were made with triangular shaped oliquots, before the acu-just
system went into effect. All of these vintage pianos with adjustable oliquots
were designed to have a specific duplex scale tone that coordinated with the
tone of the speaking length. The moveablility of these oliquots was
incorporated to allow for this tuning process.

Tuning the duplex scale of any and all of these pianos can unquestionably
improve the tone of the piano in particular regard to the quality of tone and
the sustain.

May I remind you that this is not my idea; it is, was and always will be CF T
Steinway's, who has the original patent, 126848.

If you would like more information about how to tune a duplex scale desingned
piano, I would be delighted to provide you with any info I have, which is
considerable.

Hope I can be of help.

Dan Franklin, RPT