Steinway hammer alignment - results

Sat, 27 Oct 2001 07:55:59 -0400

Greetings -

Thanks to the input provided by the list, I am happy to report that by
using a combination of proposed fixes I was able to align the hammers to
the strings quite successfully.  Even though the key ends were reasonably
centered under the damper levers, I still shimmed the stop block with 2
thicknesses of veneer, which provided good alignment for about 1/3 of the
hammers, yet still maintained a workable alignment with the damper
levers, even when using the una corda pedal.  That left app. 1/3 of the
hammers that still needed to go right, and 1/3 that now needed to go a
bit left.  Using Ed's "caddy-corner" papering technique I was easily able
to align the rest in little time.  Magnificent tip, Ed!

Including shaping the hammers, and adjusting the una corda, the whole job
took app. 2 1/2 hours, and the customer was elated.  Dramatic improvement
in tone, as well, I must add, now that the hammers are striking all the
strings!  It is true that the majority of the hammers are still left of
center of the wippens, but not enough to cause regulation problems.  No
since fixing what ain't broken....

Thanks all.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com