duplex

DALE ERWIN erwinpiano@msn.com
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 08:34:14 -0700

 =20
----- Original Message -----
From: DALE ERWIN
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 8:01 AM
To: pianotech
Subject: Re: Was Voicing M&H BB/ Now tuned duplexes
 =20
Hi Dan
 =20
 Are  you referring to the front or rear duplexes? I know you've studied =
this a fair bit but I think after hearing Ron o. ,Ron, N. , Del, John Har=
tman and others I believe there is enough evidence that the front duplex =
being tuned is a detriment to sustain. The sympathetically vibrating stri=
ng segment at the front duplex is largely responsible for drawing energy =
from the vibrating segment ,reducing sustain/power  and creating more buz=
zing than pianists can tolerate. This segment would benefit greatly fom b=
eing detuned.   I've noticed than in Mason BB's from different era's the =
front duplex went from being in a tuned configuration to on of equal leng=
th string lengths in the front duplex. In the latter the tone is cleaner =
with no buzzing and excellent sustain characteristics.
   As to the rear duplexes having a significant effect on tone ,at least =
for me the jury is still out. If all other aspects of the pianos tone pro=
ducing system are set up well the overall increase in  performance to me =
is not enhanced significantly. However as has been discussed at length on=
 list has been the detriment of too short of a back scale choking /restri=
cting bridge movement thus tone quality ,power etc. Convince me otherwise=
. I'm open minded.
 =20
    Regards----Dale Erwin
 =20