Duplex

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 19:47:45 +1000

Dale, Dan, Del and Ric (Moody),

Del wrote:

>What can I say? Lots and lots has been learned about the piano and
>its design since old CFT sat in front of a drafting table. Smart as
>he was, he wasn't perfect. Nor was the piano he created (in spite of
>the claim of certain of his descendents). It was--or should have
>been--just one stepping stone on the path, albeit a significant one.
>If our industry is to survive,  however, we must learn from both his
>experience and our own and then go on from there.

Exactly Del well said, and progress in piano design and construction
has been basically hi-jacked by Steinway's dominance of the market,
and their incredible arrogance, over the twentieth century. Today,
even if their products are not cutting edge, many seem incapable of
allowing themselves to notice. Enough of that !

Well certainly Dan, Steinway had the original patent for duplex
scaling. But did it achieve what has been claimed ad nauseam ever
since. Almost certainly not. A front duplex which has been carefully
set to a harmonic length of the speaking length is a sure way to
build a lousy sounding note. The duplex length must be detuned to lie
in between two adjacent harmonic lengths. Further, the duplex length
must not be too long or it will be noisy anyhow, even if it is a
detuned length. Therefore, a suitable detuned length must be chosen
for each section of speaking lengths. We build a spreadsheet for the
purchase, upon which a column is provided for each detuned length
option to be calculated. The general formula I use for these options
are;

  Detuned length option = (((lower harmonic length)/(next higher
harmonic length))^(0.5))*(lower harmonic length)

I trust that I've got all the brackets correct, since its written off
the top of my head without consulting one of my spreadsheets. I have
no idea if Harold Conklin or others have used this formula for their
calculations, because I worked this out on my own just before
building no. 003 to bring it Reno (no. 003 is front duplex detuned
and rear duplex tuned). But since all roads lead to Rome, its very
likely that others before me have used it also.

The formula will allow you calculate the length of a duplex which is
in-between two adjacent tuned duplex lengths (which we wish to avoid
like the plague).

There you go all, out with your spreadsheets. I know it's right
because I've actually gone to the trouble of building a piano with
this system and it works. String noise might suit those who are hard
of hearing but I don't care for it at all. Steinway might have the
patent for tuned duplex lengths but who wants it? It only  results in
noise. I'm more interested in clean tone. Anyone else wish to join me?

Ron O
--

Website:  http://www.overspianos.com.au
Email:        mailto:ron@overspianos.com.au