Duplex

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 11:41:37 -0600

Good morning Ron,

> I put
>the improvement prior to detuning down to the smaller radius harder
>bars. But I still believe that there's even more to be had when the
>lengths are detuned.

Quite possibly. I'll get a chance next week to tune a M&H A that I did
about four years ago. I set it up with short front duplex, a little over
15° counter bearing angle, brass half round counter bearing, and nothing
else special. Nothing special about the duplex, that is, since it got a
soundboard, rib scale, cutoff, string scale and bridges, vertical hitches
with increased back scale lengths, etc. I'm curious to see how it's aging.

>The others, well I'd prefer to go pig shooting.

That's pretty vivid.

>Maybe so, but are you talking 20-25 mm here? Certainly 33 mm is long
>enough to be extremely noisy - that much I have conclusively proven.

Yes I am, if they can be gotten that short. Detuning may be very good
insurance if they can't though. I'd really prefer that they be too short to
be active at all.

Whatever works. I don't recall too many techs worrying about why a duplex
ISN'T noisy.

Ron N