Duplex

DALE ERWIN erwinpiano@msn.com
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 12:42:31 -0800

 =20
Ron O. wrote
The formula will allow you calculate the length of a duplex which is
in-between two adjacent tuned duplex lengths (which we wish to avoid
like the plague).

There you go all, out with your spreadsheets. I know it's right
because I've actually gone to the trouble of building a piano with
this system and it works. String noise might suit those who are hard
of hearing but I don't care for it at all. Steinway might have the
patent for tuned duplex lengths but who wants it? It only  results in
noise. I'm more interested in clean tone. Anyone else wish to join me?

Ron O

     Yeah, hey Ron just sign me up on the sustain fanatic/ less noise  ba=
ndwagon. If the piano has clean sound and lots of sustain it's possible t=
o voice it as bright or mellow as one wishes with no worries mate. Ron ? =
how much is the spread sheet. I'm still working on the Stwy D ( actually =
it's been sitting) and wish to change the plate to eliminate as much of t=
hat Model D noise which is so problematic and so robs the sustain in octa=
ve 5 & 6. I'll no doubt have to grind of the originals as they will be ob=
stacles. This !933 D has the uneven string lengths in the top 2 trebles d=
ue to the bridge design (staggered pins) .My guess is this was possibly a=
nother attempt to enhance sustain. Hmmm kill sustain with tuned duplexes =
enhance it with uneven out of phase string vibration. Also has the rear d=
uplex  matches the bridge pin staggers. I've seen Baldwin ( fts.  from th=
is vintage with exactly the same set up.( and problems)
 At this point I'm planning to make uniform string lengths and purchase n=
ew rear duplexes unless some one has an incredibly good argument against =
it. No----- .O.K. I'm changing it.
   At some point when it's complete I'll either show it or at least repor=
t back on the outcome and we can all add that info to another collective =
piece of the techno pie.
   Thanks for the passion and input.

      Best-----Dale Erwin