Was Voicing M&H BB/ Now tuned duplexes

Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:24:42 +0100

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >Interesting you added the last sentence. Of course you are right and we have
> >mentioned all this before and also a bit about the constraints placed on
> >what you
> >can or canot do because of other concerns, but as long as you mentioned
> that...
> >lets turn it around for a bit... What do the two duplex's have in common ? For
> >that matter.... how (if at all) does the choice of one effect the choice
> of the
> >other ?
> >--
> >Richard Brekne
>
> I don't see how the choice of one could have much if any affect on the
> other either way. What they have in common is that they are intended to
> make noise. My presumption is that the produced noise is intended to
> disguise the fact that the soundboard isn't working at high efficiency.
>
> Ron N

Well lets see.. and I am on a purely speculative path here... If the presumption
that the duplex lengths (both front and back) have some impact on the strength and
duration of one or more partials from the speaking length of the string, (that both
sides claim they can measure with their various devices)  then at least they have
that much in common.  Then I have to wonder if the impact the one has on speaking
length then in some (perhaps very small but measureable way) can influence the
other.  As an example (an oversimplefied one) just take a so called "tuned" front
duplex. And say it is such that it sucks up some of the string energy at the 3rd
partial of the speaking length... that would then presumably mean that some
proportional amount of energy at that same 3rd partial would not get through to the
backlength. And if so much is true then I would suppose that the reverse is also
true, at least to some degree.  You would have then 4 possible configurations...
both duplex lengths detuned, both tuned, and two ways  of having one tuned and the
other not.

Just musing...but it would seem that if you can measure a change in sustain and
power relative to whether the duplex is tuned or not... then the rest kinda
follows... at least to some degree.

or what ??

--
Richard Brekne