Ballistol

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 14:10:42 -0700

At 08:40 AM 10/27/01 -0600, Joe wrote:

>Hi Ron, Rogerio,
>Ron, It may be your end. We have a Good Outlook <G>
>All messages commimg in fine.

They are not coming in fine here on my (registered) copy of Eudora Pro,
though. Too bad too as I'm curious about this product.

>Rogerio, Thanks for the information.  I will do some head to head testing as
>soon as I get my hands on the  Ballistol.

It was reported that it is designed to creep. That doesn't sound like a
good thing in pianos.

On a related note, my guitar tech (why is it that we personalize things
like that... MY guitar tech, MY piano tuner, MY mechanic?) gave me a
product to use on my guitar strings to clean them and he swears by it.
There are probably a few people on this list who are familiar with it.

The product is called "Hoppes #9" (http://www.hoppes.com/) and it's used in
the firearms industry as a "nitro powder solvent" that also cleans lead out
of gun barrels. Using the lint-free cleaning patches/swabs supplied to the
gun industry, he said to wipe down the strings after each session to remove
the contaminants that make strings go dead. I'm about to try it on a couple
of my guitars that don't have plastic-coated strings to see how well it
works on them. It would be nice to go back to putting $15 strings on my
bass and having them last more than a week instead of using the $80 coated
Gore Elixers.

I'm curious if anyone has ever used it on piano strings or other metal
parts and whether it has any uses for our industry?

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
mailto:john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom