Chaning Inharmonicity

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 19:20:38 -0500

Don Rose writes:

 >Unfortunately inharmonicity does change with humidity levels. It makes a
 >significant difference on a SAT or RCT. The verituner would be even more
 >likely to show deviations as it does so much more measuring.

I don't believe this has ever been demonstrated conclusively.  Are you
sure that most of the so-called inharmonicity variation is not due
to measurement error?  To see what I mean, get five techs together at
the same time and let them each measure the inharmonicity of several
strings on one piano.  Let them use the same equipment, but don't let
them watch each other as the measurements are taken.  Then compare
notes.  The variations that you get in that experiment are not due to
anything changing on the piano, but rather to the measurement process
itself.  Once that level of variation has been established, you can
then go on to make measurements under different humidity conditions.
If the variation you get is substantially greater than the baseline
variation from the first experiment, then you will have proven
something.  Until then it is just speculation.

-Robert Scott
  Detroit-Windsor Chapter