Chaning Inharmonicity

Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:01:23 +0100

Newton Hunt wrote:

> > I don't believe this has ever been demonstrated conclusively.
>
> I have experienced this, for years.  I have tuned the same concert
> grands every week, sometimes for years, and I have measured the FAC
> numbers time after time after time.  The "A" changes three to four cents
> from one season to the other, and it does effect the way the piano is
> tuned.

Changing of "A" three to four cents from one season to another is not the
same as what Don meant with the "changing inharmonicity" that the counter
point above referers to.

Do you mean that you have measured changes in the total inharmonicity of "A"
(for example) from season to season. ? Are these changes then such that the
proportional relationships of the partials is altered as I believe Don is
saying, or do they all simply rise and fall proprotionally ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.