tuning sequence -Verituner

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:29:29

Hi everyone,

Yes, as Ron N guessed, I'm sure just a sampling run through would give the
VT (Verituner) all the info it needs to just single-pass a piano at pitch.
Maybe it's just me, or the Chicago weather, but I only see a few pianos each
year that aren't in need of a first pass before the fine tuning. (more than
10 cents off in any section) Most times, though the fine tuning takes less
time than the pitch raise.

Ron Koval
Chicagoland

Ron N wrote:
Ron K,
A question, if you would. Presuming the piano is close to pitch, wouldn't a
similar (adequate?) result be gotten from sampling each note to ascertain
the partial structure before doing a single pass tuning? I'm presuming this
could be done a little faster than having to crank pins during the process
of providing the machine with information to refine the calculations, as
well as being easier on joints and muscles. I know two passes will
statistically improve stability (lot of factors there), but from a stretch
and interval balance standpoint, why wouldn't a pre-sampling do the job?

Ron N