Changing Inharmonicity

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 13:20:19 -0500

It may be that inharmonicity does change with a variety of
factors, such as humidity and voicing.  But until we have
experimental verification of the degree of measurement error,
we don't really know how to interpret those results.

Here is my suggestion.  In the next month a great many of you
may be attending local PTG chapter meetings, perhaps at
music stores or other sites that have at least one piano.
This would be a great opportunity to try out the "five techs"
test.  Have someone bring along their SAT and measure the
FAC numbers for one piano.  Each tech should make the FAC
measurements without the others knowing the results until
all measurements are made.  Then collect the measurements
and report the distribution back here on pianotech.  I think
many of us would be interested in these results.  I have no
particular hypothesis as to what the five techs test will
show, but I anxiously await the results.  If any of you share
my scientific curiosity, please give it a try.

-Robert Scott
  Detroit-Windsor Chapter