Vintage Case Parts

davehugh davehugh@email.msn.com
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 20:45:09 -0500

Hello Folks,

    I thank those of you who have contacted me with questions about the =
new grand piano lids we are providing to the trade via a new subsidiary =
company, Vintage Case Parts. Before I proceed I wish to emphatically =
stress that I do not wish to have this correspondence appear commercial =
in nature. The point is to answer a number of recently asked questions =
about the product in one letter.
    Original Steinway toplids quite often self destruct due to the =
ravages of time, with splitting lumber core and flaking veneer posing =
difficult challenges for quality restoration work. Ours units are =
replacement toplids for Steinway grand pianos exhibiting these problems. =
We will tool up for Mason & Hamlin and other original manufacturers =
shortly. Currently we are finishing up the Steinway model roster, with =
the A-3 and D getting perfected at the CAD stage at this point. Suffice =
it to say there is considerable digital work and CNC tool-up for a =
project of this scope.=20
    The lids are made of highest quality MDF with crossbanded face =
veneers top and bottom. Identical- species solid lumber is inlayed =
around the perimeter approximately 3" deep and across the long hinge =
mortise. Thus a "mahogany" lid (for example) has solid visible mahogany =
at the edge all the way around. These inlays are mitered often around =
the curvature of the lid to achieve no end grain runout, much like the =
fit of the original veneer atop the outer rim. There is no veneer to =
loosen, the top simply will not warp or split, and all hinge screws/case =
buttons will have hardwood to bite into, not the MDF. The lids are =
provided unfinished in maple (for ebony), mahogany, walnut, as well as =
figured maple, rosewood, you name it.
    The product is, as-original, 3/4" thick, and yes, is a bit heavier =
than the original equipment. The edge detail is identical to the one =
Steinway used from the late 1800s until the advent of the "ogee age". We =
will tool up for this iteration shortly.
    Our "norm" will be to manufacture product on an as-ordered basis and =
ship within 4 weeks. Vintage Case Parts provides a shipping crate for a =
nominal additional fee. Shipping (motor freight) is, of course, paid by =
the customer. For those who have never fitted a new lid to a piano, we =
provide thorough user-friendly, step-by-step instructions to eliminate =
confusion and frustration.
    Additionally, we are now producing Steinway rounded-front music desk =
frame end panels. Often the original panels have self destructed at the =
extremities due to overloading of the music desk. Repair of these panels =
can be difficult to make entirely invisible, and the situation is =
worsened when lumber is completely missing. Our panels come with the =
mortise on the inside edge of each panel to accept the =
rectangular-shaped back rail, and the "bow tie" mortise on the underside =
which accepts the fluted, contoured front rail which holds the sheet =
music. Like the original units, these end panels will need to be =
fine-fit to the interior dimension of the outer rim and the tracks on =
which the frame rides. If original dimensions are provided, Vintage Case =
Parts will plane and dado the ends of the new panels at a modest =
additional cost. As with the lids, these panels will be available in all =
veneers. These products will be inventoried and ready for immediate =
shipment.
    I thank you for the opportunity to explain a few details and trust I =
have not abused the intended forum of the PTG tech list.

    Respectfully,

    David G. Hughes, RPT
    Vintage Case Parts
   =20