Convention pay off

Diane Hofstetter dpno2nr@yahoo.com
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 19:04:41 -0800 (PST)

Why would one have to pay to get into the exhibit hall?
It seems to me that someone unable to attend classes should at least have
the opportunity to go to the supplier's booths
to purchase tools and to see the new pianos, especially if they are a Guild
member. Non-members would pay a nominal fee.

Regards,

Jon Page, piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com

I just arrived home from the Pacific Northwest Conference where I paid $550 for convention registrations for my partner and myself to attend classes.  Actually I had a booth in connection with my hearing research project and didn't have time to attend any classes, except for 20 minutes in Joe Garrett's estimating class, because I wanted to meet Joe. ( In fact, I was so busy with my hearing thing, that one day I didn't have time to even eat anything until about 4:30pm.)

However, it was explained to me before we drove to Washington, that we would have to pay registration fees for classes, and I could have decided to not go, just like we decided to not go to the California State conference for exactly that reason.

If an organization decides to establish some rules for their activities, and make those rules known in advance, then people can decide whether they want to participate or not.  If the organization is thriving, then the rules are good, if it is not thriving, then it has to look at it's policies.

I went to my first conference with the National Hearing Conservation Association in Dallas in early March.  They allowed me to attend at the student rate of $142 for three days' of classes and found me an Audiologist from the Mayo Clinic to room with.  The conference was fabulous and the people were very friendly and went out of their ways to speak with me,  fascinated that a piano tuner would be interested enough in hearing protection to come to their convention.  They hoped the convention was  helpful to me and that I might become interested in joining their association.   I THINK I WILL.

Diane