Family Rates at the Convention

crbrpt@verizon.net crbrpt@verizon.net
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 1:20:17 -0600

The family rates for MARC are not for the technical classes. I am still unclear about the policies concerning family members in the Exhibit Hall.

I keep trying to move this discussion to PTG-L where it belongs, but since Steve posted to this list, the following was my reply:

The reply I received from the registrar to my inquiry was that my daughter would have to pay the non-member technician rate to attend any classes, which was $100 higher than the rate I would have to pay.  It was suggested that she hurry up and join the PTG before the seminar to get a reduced rate. There were no other options. End of discussion.   To me, this implied a take it or leave it policy.

That meant that if my son-in-law also attended any classes or wanted to see the exhibit hall, we would also have to pay an additional non-member technician registration.  Because we were traveling with a baby, we would not be attending very many classes anyway, but that is our concern and not PTGs.  The registration fees alone for the 2 of us would be a ballpark of $250 plus $350  = $600.  I could have lived with $250 plus $125 = $375.  Big difference.  If my son-in-law were to come along to help with the baby that would have been another $350 ($950) instead of $500  to attend a few classes and visit the exhibit hall as a family of three.   I am not complaining about the added fees for the one day classes, the food or lodging, but keep in mind that families are paying out more money to feed and lodge themselves than someone attending alone and sharing a room.

The fee of $20 per day to attend the exhibit hall, at MARC, was not very clear as I thought one had to be registered as a technician for the conference to gain entry.  I am still confused about this.  Does this mean that any family member NOT registered for either classes or the auxiliary program can pay $20 to visit the Exhibit Hall for the day?  This would certainly be fair, as food is served, and be one of the things I would consider to be very family friendly indeed.

Neither my daughter or son-in-law know much about my profession, and in my mind, I thought taking them along would be good for all of us. My daughter is just starting to work in my office and is thinking that some day, she might like to be a piano technician. Her husband wants to be supportive, and would like some idea of what his wife is talking about.  Since I work on so many Disklaviers, and the class is for beginners as well, it was my daughter's idea to attend this class.  I remember the very first seminar class I attended was how to make a set of piano keys for a piano that had no keys!  Talk about being in over your head!  I thought the extra $25 per person was a bargain.

I doubt that many technicians children get interested in this profession until they reach adulthood.  It doesnt matter how old your family members are, they are still your family when they accompany you to a seminar. They are not even beginners or students, just inquirers when the idea of attending a convention or seminar first occurs to them.  Why should we charge them the same rate as non guild piano technicians earning a living tuning and servicing pianos?  Of course if they are working as piano technicians they should pay full fare. Why cant a reduced rate for family members to attend classes and have access to the Exhibit Hall be an added benefit to PTG membership?

Perhaps saying that this lack of family pricing is unfair would better be described as pricing that is counter-productive to PTGs mission statement. Not having more affordable pricing for family members, and having a very narrow policy about admittance into an exhibit hall does not promote interest in pianos in our own backyard. I still feel that PTG, especially MARC, pricing is not as family-friendly as it could be.  They could do better.

In no way have I disrespected the efforts of volunteers in making PTG programs happen.  However, when PTG  ignores the contributions  family members have made over the years in many ways, including producing and distributing  chapter newsletters, helping at PTG booths during National Piano Month, and enabling us to serve as a volunteer chapter officers, by charging  them extra, instead of less, to attend a PTG function, they are disrespecting their contributions to PTG.

The arguments against more family friendly pricing is that we cant afford it, not many people will come, we wont fill up the hotel rooms, etc. don’t appear to be well founded considering that conferences like MARC  will be oversold.  This also implies that we don’t need to change anything  if we only look at the dollars.  Think about community building and exposing young people to PTG.  Think about the customer who complains, and that for every one of those there are 10 more who will never call you again and you will never know why.  Think about all the families who have complained over the years and those that just gave up on PTG.  Think about what you are doing to encouraging the family-owned businesses of your membership.  Think about the fact that the National Convention is never oversold.

BTW, I have always enjoyed the MARC seminar.  So much so that I always attended when I knew I couldn’t make it to the National convention.  I can’t say enough good things about the quality of the experiences.  I just wish it wouldn’t cost so much to let my family know what a wonderful experience it can be - especially since they are interested in continuing the profession. I would have loved to introduce my family  to all that the PTG experience could be.  If I were alone is this position, I would just give in without another word.  But I am certainly not - especially if my private email is any indication.  Every year this issue comes up, and every year we lose the attendance and interest of those who could be our future.

Carol Beigel