Family Rates at the Convention

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:11:26 -0500

Carol,

At this year's Annual in Chicago, there will be Exhibit Hall passes
available, on a discretionary basis, for those accompanying paid
registrants.  Anyone may contact Sandy Roady at the home office about these
passes.

There are many ways to look at the pricing structure and those run the gamut
from that it should be a member benefit at no extra charge to that the
registration fee should reflect the total cost of staff and volunteer time
as well as being a money-making venture for PTG.  Where the final answer
falls in between those extremes will keep shifting over time and will depend
largely on the vote of the majority or the determinations of those elected
by the members.

It always saddens me to see PTG referred to an entity.  That winds up
belying the nature of any organization made up of individuals.  We all have
a say one way or another and I certainly respect your position.    I'm not
sure about the comment concerning the Annual Convention never being
oversold.  There are quite a few ways to define that.  If we look at the
allotted sleeping room block (which involves how much we pay for the meeting
space) we meet expectations.  Are we going to have as many folks in Chicago
to completely fill the meeting rooms for every class period?  No, I suppose
not.

While it's easy to look for a more "family-friendly" approach, we also have
to consider the other side.  Is it fair to the unattached technician who's
paying for a full registration not to receive a discount since they work
alone?  Should we allow parents of paid registrants to attend at a reduced
rate?  Spouses?  Minor children?  Grown children?  Extended family?
Employees of paid registrants?  God-children?  Friends are curious about the
business?  No matter where we draw the line, someone will be unhappy.

We already allow registrations for family at the member rate.  Is that
enough? Yes, for some and no for others.  Should we allow open access to the
exhibit hall or should it be only for registered attendees?  There are good
arguments for both extremes.  At this point, it's somewhat in the middle.
At the best point in the middle?  Maybe not, but some folks will always want
it to be at a different balance point.

It's far from perfect, but input is always appreciated and welcomed by those
who are entrusted with making these decisions.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in Chicago.

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Director - TEAM2002
June 26-30, 2002 - Chicago, IL
agilreath@mindspring.com
http://www.ptg.org/conv.htm
Assistant Directors: Gary Neie, RPT - Claude Harding, RPT - Joel Jones,
RPT - Laura Olsen, RPT