Family Rates at the Convention

Stacy Adams adams_piano@hotmail.com
Mon, 01 Apr 2002 08:30:28 -0700

>My daughter is just starting to work in my office and is thinking that some
>day, she might like to be a piano technician. I doubt that many technicians
>children get interested in this profession until they reach adulthood...Why
>should we charge them the same rate as non guild piano technicians earning
>a living tuning and servicing pianos?  Of course if they are working as
>piano technicians they should pay full fare. Why cant a reduced rate for
>family members to attend classes and have access to the Exhibit Hall be an
>added benefit to PTG membership?>

Carol,

As someone who was not fortunate enough to begin my career as a family
member of an existing technician, I would have difficulty supporting your
position.  When I younger and at the inquiring stage I paid the full fee so
I could attend a regional convention.  At that stage I wasn't certain that
piano work was for me, but I felt there would be no better exposure to the
field of piano work than a convention could give.  Not only did that event
get me hooked, but allowed me to meet many other technicians, great people
who have since supported me with much advice and encouragement.  I attended
several piano seminars, workshops, conventions, etc. in various locations
long before I ever made a dime in this field.

We all start out as beginnners...I don't think it would be fair at all to
offer distinctly different fees for relatives of existing guild members but
expect every other interested individual to pay full fare.  I see it simply
as tuition, and when compared to the cost of any formal education program in
your country or mine it is really quite minimal.

Respecfully,

Stacy Adams
Victoria, BC.