Tone near plate struts (was Re:Varying bridge height)

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Mon, 01 Apr 2002 22:44:41 0000

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 19:11:57
 Ron Nossaman wrote:
>> But on pianos that do not have
>>a cut down bridge there is still a deterioration, or at least a change, of
>tone
>>adjacent to the plate struts or braces.  It seems to be worse on some pianos
>>than on others.  What do you think is the reason for this?  I'd be interested
>>in hearing some conjectures (or authoritative explanations if someone out
>>there has some).
>>
>>Phil F
>
>It could be going from agraffes to tuned duplexes. It could be that the
>overall assembly is too flexible and the lack of string load at the strut
>lowers the impedance there too much. String load does raise impedance.

I don't understand what you mean by string load.

>Maybe too few  ribs, and/or not stiff enough. Is it the bridge that's
>causing the problem? How could you tell one way or another?
>

>Ron N

I can't.  Hence the question.  Maybe it's the bridge (it usually has to take
a bit of a jog at the plate strut) or maybe it's the plate (additional stiffness
from the strut, additional mass from the strut, other?).

Phil F

See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar
http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp