Tone near plate struts (was Re:Varying bridge height)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 01 Apr 2002 17:54:07 -0600

>I don't understand what you mean by string load.

Bearing.

>> How could you tell one way or another?
>
>I can't.  Hence the question.  Maybe it's the bridge (it usually has to take
>a bit of a jog at the plate strut) or maybe it's the plate (additional
>stiffness
>from the strut, additional mass from the strut, other?).
>
>Phil F

I can't say for sure. There are too many combinations of possibility, all
of them expensive to test, so I never tried to pin it down. My bridges jog
more than most across those struts, because I want to keep the log length
progression across the treble break(s) and still keep the unison somewhere
near the center of the bridge, but my soundboard assemblies don't seem to
have the tone problems at these breaks. This makes me happy.

Ron N