Tone near plate struts (was Re:Varying bridge height)

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 02:34:13 0000

On Mon, 01 Apr 2002 17:54:07
 Ron Nossaman wrote:
>>I don't understand what you mean by string load.
>
>Bearing.

So, you're talking about the fact that the portion of the bridge under the
strut doesn't have any bearing load on it, which would affect the impedance
locally.  This seemed to be the same thing that Dale was saying, if I understood
correctly.  Dale gave the example of a piano that sounded better at the break.
If this string loading is the reason for the tonal difference locally, then I guess
whether it was a good or bad thing would depend on whether it pushed the
local impedance towards where it should be or away from it.

>My bridges jog
>more than most across those struts, because I want to keep the log length
>progression across the treble break(s) and still keep the unison somewhere
>near the center of the bridge, but my soundboard assemblies don't seem to
>have the tone problems at these breaks. This makes me happy.
>

>Ron N

Well, if it ain't broke.......

Phil F

See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar
http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp