"Pin Block Drilling Fixture"2

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 16:28:19 -0800

Terry, et al,
It is heavy for a reason: Betters accuracy. No, it is not difficult to
build. It is a box w/external adjustable legs, (made out of 2/4's. It has
shelves inside the front doors that are  full-extension glides. On the top
is mounted a 2'x2'x2" piece of butcher block; it is hinged for incremental
angles. (The major angle is obtained by adjusting the legs) The incremental
angle is adjusted by carriage bolts/"t" nuts (2). I have a Delta/Rockwell
Radial drill press. (Olde, but same as current model). I bought an extra
mounting base and affixed it to the butcher block. I also bought one extra
vertical column, which I machine cut in 3 different lengths: 6", 9" & 7 1/2"
(what was left). The box is approx. 22" wide x 24" deep x 28" high. I has 4
shelves for the tuning pin storage/weight. The box has doors that swing out
and have a latch, when closed, to keep it closed and contain the t.pins. the
whole thing is sitting on a platform made of channel iron w/casters welded
to it and a 1" thick piece of plywood that is approx. 33" x 28" overall. The
box is not "mounted" on the platform, it simply sits on it. I first tried
casters on the legs of the box, but the "caster" action" screwed up the
depth accuracy; hence the platform.
This whole contraption is infinitely adjustable for all drilling, (in the
piano), applications. As I work on infinitely different pianos, I needed
something that would do the job ALL the time. It works on Uprights as well
as Square Grands, Grands and anything else needing portable (well?...)
drilling. It also serves the dual purpose of housing all the Tuning Pins I
have in stock. (Back in the 70's we had an extreme shortage of tuning pins,
so I keep a good stock now!)(Dern US Steel!) But that's another story.
I hope this makes the earlier posting a little clearer. If not, then use
your imagination and ingenuity.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)