A "Fixture" for drilling P.Block in Piano/Farrell

Carl Meyer cmpiano@attbi.com
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 22:00:17 -0800

I'll quickly go thru this picture.

First, let me say that I follow the Murphys law on precision.  I  measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk and cut with an axe.

A terrycloth towel on the rim.

A 12 inch wide piece of particle board with white plastic on top long enough to span the piano with a bit to spare.  It's stiffened with a piece of 3/4 plywood about 5 inches wide at the rear and a 2 inch wide 1/8 inch thick aluminum at the front.

A similar piece of board that will slide left to right.  Right to left as well.  The main will slide fore and aft and the press will slide port and starboard.

Mounted on the sliding member is the cheapest drill press I can find.  I've seen them for $39.95 at harbor freight.

Remove the base and table from the press.  Remove the hinge on the lid and cut a hole in it to clear the main pipe.  Add a pulley and use aircraft cable to gear up the lever so that about 1/3 stroke of the handle will give full 2 inches of stroke of the bit.  Now by adjusting the bit  and the press up and down on the post, I can get the proper stroke.  You need to use longer drills.  About 6 inches.

I've drilled thru the plate and the pin block to plug the block with 3/8 inch plugs.  Had to get metric drills to get the right size to fit the plugs.  You need a bit of clearance.  Can't put a 3/8 plug in a 3/8 hole.  Here's where a little precision helps.
Use the same drill to drill thru a chunk of pinblock and put a centering punch in a vise with the chunk over it and center punch the plugs with  a hammer before gluing in.  Now drill for the pin size.

For those who absitively and posolutely insist on drilling at an angle, just throw a dowel of suitable size under the back of the sliding part to tilt it forward.  It'll stay there okay. A little
talc or teflon and it move fairly easily.

I use air, not to levitate but to cool the bit.  A vortec tube will cool the bit so you can touch it at any time (turned off of course).

This is a one use tool.  It'll out last me at my present level of usage.

An order for two won't cut it Terry.  I'd have to have an order for at least ten to motivate me to make these and they are too hard to ship.  Everyone would want me to change it anyway and I'm too old to change.

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@attbi.com