Kawai UST-8G

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 23:28:13 -0800

How old is this piano?  A number of years I used to work full time for a
Kawai dealer.  We started getting in a lot of UST-8s that had the same
problem.  The wound low tenor strings could not be tuned to a clean
unison.  Close examination revealed that the coils on the strings were
not even; that is to say the coils were longer on one string than the
other.  In effect the strings were out of phase and could never possibly
be tuned clean.  We contacted Kawai about it and they openly admitted
that they had found the same problem.  Apparently a number of UST-8s
were produced with defective tenor strings before they caught the
problem and corrected it.  Kawai sent us several sets of replacement
tenor strings free, enough to replace all of them on the floor inventory
plus several extras in case we got a few more of them while the pianos
were run out of the system.

This was back around 1996 or 1997 if I recall.  If the piano falls into
this age category I would suspect that this is the problem.  If so you
might want to call Kawai about it and perhaps they will send you a free
set of tenor strings.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV