Stubborn bushings

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 18:54:50 EST

>The few I have removed have come off with a thin layer of wood. I dropped
> the bushing into the solution and after soaking you still couldn't pick
> the wood apart from the felt.
>> Is there a way to remove these without any wood or am I just going to
>have  to remove some wood and use thicker bushing cloth?

Greetings,
   I assume this is the white plastic glued bushings?  if so, then heat is
about the only thing that will soften this glue for long enough to take the
bushings out.  I use a homemade steamer.  If you use a de-bushing iron, the
felt needs to be wet so that the heat will reach the glue before the bushing
burns up.  Once the temp. is really high in the cloth, you have to get the
cloth out in a hurry or the glue will set right back up.
  I normally use hot hide glue to rebush with, but on sets of the mid-60's
Steinways that have this thermoplastic glue, I found that a number of
bushings wouldn't stay adhered.  The surface of the wood seems impervious to
hide glues adhesion.   I believe that PVC-E glue would be my choice to
replace the felt with, since it seems to stick to anything.
Good luck, these sets take about twice as long to remove as any other I have
seen.
Ed Foote RPT