Stubborn bushings

Paul Chick (EarthLink) tune4@earthlink.net
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 07:21:04 -0600

We had a set of key bushings to change and found that the old ones were =
put in with white glue.  We soaked them in white vinegar. Then we =
steamed them.  They came out best when still very warm. Steaming alone =
did not work well.  We tried the bushing removal iron, but it didn't do =
as well as the above combination. We thought at first it was super glue. =
Chisaling them seemed the only solution. Then I remembered vinegar.

Paul Chick
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 9:07 PM
  Subject: Re: Stubborn bushings

  In a message dated 4/3/2002 2:54:32 PM Pacific Standard Time, =

    Subj:Stubborn bushings=20
    Date:4/3/2002 2:54:32 PM Pacific Standard Time
    From:pdtek@mchsi.com
    Reply-to:pianotech@ptg.org
    To:pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent from the Internet=20

    Dave wrote
    Well, I've never had this much trouble removing key bushings. Just a =
little water and wall paper remover and they practically fall off. Maybe =
a little heat for some, but these are completely fused to the wood. As =
one. The few I have removed have come off with a thin layer of wood. I =
dropped the bushing into the solution and after soaking you still =
couldn't pick the wood apart from the felt.
    Is there a way to remove these without any wood or am I just going =
to have to remove some wood and use thicker bushing cloth?
for this application should be abundantly clear. If you can't thank a =
factory for this condition how bout a fellow tech? I rest my case.