Down bearing

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 06:54:41 -0800

> No. Downbearing in new or old pianos is determined strickly by string
geometry. The angles the string makes as it crosses the bridge and the
tension on that string. Your parameters mentioned above are needed to
evaluate soundboard stiffness perhaps, and its reaction to some amount of
downbearing, but not an good/easy way to measure downbearing.

"And the tension on that string"
I think that's the factor of the equation I was missing. I couldn't see how
string geometry alone would measure downbearing. First, I think it's all in
Del's post/attachment and I'll rephrase after I study. Thank you
Keith