Enough already!!

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Fri, 05 Apr 2002 09:28:11 -0800

David M. Porritt wrote:

>Andy -- our list guru -- is currently installing software on 2 new
>servers that will be used for this list, and for the PTG web page.
>He is a very knowledgable professional who does this free.  His
>filters catch 95% of the spam that comes through.

If the current system removes 95% of the spam I'm sure we would all be
amazed to see what DOESN'T get through!

>There are no filters that will catch everything.  The spamers
>generally have good brains too, and they can figure out how to get
>their messages past the filters.

Spamers getting around filters is nothing more than malicious hacking.
 The filter is there to tell the sender, "thanks but no thanks".
 Writing programming specifically designed for getting around a filter
is breaking and entering!  Simply put, it is "not taking no for an
answer".  What gets me is that after saying "no" they still think we are
going to say "yes" after rudely break in.  Last time I checked that
technique doesn't go over too well in other venues.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV